Swanage History

A Brief History of Swanage

During the early Roman occupation, Purbeck stone was highly valued as a magnificent building material. The Romans departed in the early fifth century and the arduous art of stone quarrying halted. When churches were being built in the 1100s, the practice was revived and the famous and sumptuous stone was the preferred decorative building material, especially for the grand internal columns of the churches.

The modern transformation of Swanage is exemplified by one gentleman, a local MP by the name of William Morton Pitt. In the early 19th century Pitt opened a luxury hotel, later named as the Royal Victoria Hotel after Princess, (and subsequently later Queen), Victoria stayed there in 1833. In June of 1952, the Royal Victoria Hotel became a Grade II Listed Building.